Evaluation



Overall, my aim for this project was to create fabrics that focused on restricting and deforming the skin, as well as revealing elements of the skin when placed on the body. I have found the process of this project very interesting as I was developing and moving forward from a previous project. Looking back through this journey, I believe I have developed and designed unique and contemporary fabrics that fit well with my target market, high-end womenswear.

At the beginning of this project I struggled with developing my ideas, colour palette and initial fabrics, and felt I hit a standstill quite early on.  I overcame these issues by taking more photographs and creating drawings from them to give me inspiration on shape, textures, and techniques I could use in my samples. I also began looking at more fashion designers and other areas of the art/ design world which enabled me to progress my ideas further.

I found my strengths in this project were developing my fabrics, once I had overcome the difficulties of creating a colour palette, I approached them with a lot of confidence to experiment and push my own technical ability. I found I gathered a lot of strong and relevant contextual research throughout the process, which enabled me to maintain my ideas and samples for a high-end market.
This project has advanced my abilities as a designer as I have improved my knitting technical ability when combining yarns like monofilament and elastic that aren’t always the easiest yarns to knit with. I now have the ability to take a project and evolve it into something new without replicating what I had previously made and achieved.  I have also learnt what is involved to make high quality fabrics like yarn choice and the research needed.