Exploring knit techniques

Many of my initial samples were made on the domestic knit machine, and were not translating my ideas. This week I wanted to explore more techniques on the 6 gauge dubied with the new yarns I had selected, and the ones I dyed. I found I had more success at getting my ideas across on the dubied machine, as well as strengthening my technical skills.


Pockets with ladders

I like how the ladders allow the suede fabric to burst through the knit. I think the 3d textural quality isn't necessary though, and the suede would work better if it were laid in flat.

 Filling Pockets

 I wanted to create a boning type structure like what corsets have using pockets.I first tried using real boning, however I was having problems getting the boning into the pockets. I then tried using lollipop sticks I cut and filed down, which fit in the pockets comfortably.

Drop Stitch with in lay and ribs

 Drop Stitch with in lay
 

Unfortunately the yarn I dyed were not the right colour and appeared too blue. The yarn were also not dyed very well as they appeard faded in some areas, and the dip dyed made the samples look marl, and too soft. The silver and dark grey cotton however worked really well especially when combined with the orange suede. I shall be taking those colour's further into my sampling.