Live Brief: Leutton Postle

The live brief from Leutton Postle was an opportunity for me to work in a completely different way to what I was currently doing, and what I naturally feel most comfortable doing. I rarely use a variety of bright colours in my work, and with Leutton Postle being as bold and unique as they are, it was my chance to explore colour.

I chose to focus my project on tribal dressings, and use elements of child like paintings through my sketchbook. The tribe I focused on were The Huli People of Papau New Guinea as they dress in bright colours, and use a wide variety of textures, materials and shapes.

http://lifeasahuman.com/files/2012/07/PNG-9-Huli-Wigmen-New-Guinea-June2009-c-V.-Ross.jpg
Hulimen

The drawings I developed feature very structural ones, and ones that have a child like quality. My aim is to get the the two different drawing styles in to my fabrics, with sections of blocks of colour and shapes, and areas that are more fluid, and natural.

  

 


Moodboard


Final Fabrics





I think my final samples were successful in representing the tribal dressing of The Huli People. If I were to make improvements on my fabrics I would reconsider how I used the beads, glitter transfer paper and feathers. I have used the embellishing components too evenly on too many samples, and they would have worked better if I had used them more as an impact on less of them, like how I used the cocoa fiber on the 4th fabric. 

The live brief has allowed me to go out of my comfort zone, and I have learnt how to balance a range of bright colours in one fabric. I also discovered how much work I can get done over a small space of time, as I only had 2 weeks to sample fabrics and create my final 6 samples.