Inspiration from Frank Gehry

My tutor advised me to research the architect Frank Gehry who's buildings possess a heavy, dense quality to them which is a feature I would like my fabrics and drawings to have.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjtGzwkZQXuVPB0yxpVBPjKNWQjC2te3IJtLq4Rt6GaA_xoN3XV904cAlL1ROBJqunkrawxaBz4H4UDGKnlA1MMZt1uV3Pd5uy2NpuSs1xVnQ5HPDGDcFgnZYpdXozRLlfg-LODeJAWvqw/s1600/fran-gehry-marques_de_riscal_winery___designed_by_frank_ghery.jpg
Architecture by Frank Gehry

I like his outrageous style and the way he uses layering. I researched into Gehry's approach to his designs, and his style of drawing, and model making. They are very abstract and unusual, however his final products are just like the initial sketches.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_le8insxggh1qb54ya.jpg
 
http://cdn.freshome.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/frank-gehry-walt-disney-concert-all-LA1.jpg
I created a series of drawings taking inspiration from the style of Gehry. My aim was to keep my lines consistent in my drawings, like how a spider web is consistent and doesn't break off.

My drawings look too delicate and may be more successful by adding another media  like oil pastels or acrylic paint. This will make them visually more impacting, and heavier in appearance.

I wanted to push my drawing style further so I experimented with tracing sections of my photographs on to plastic sheets. By attaching them together I could create layers to get the heavy effect I want. This emphasized the abstractness of the drawings even more so.

The translucency and depth of my drawings work as they have a dense and delicate quality to them. This is what I want my fabrics to have, I could achieve this by using mono-filament to create delicate, clear areas, and inlaying sections with something heavier to make the mono-filament dense.