Research Developement

 This week I focused on the idea of entrapment. Some words I thought of when thinking about objects or people trapped were restricting, tied up, struggling, claustrophobic, reduced movement and restrained. I then researched into straitjackets as they are a garment that's purpose is to physically restrain a person.
http://cantonasylumforinsaneindians.com/history_blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Straitjacket.jpg
The original designs of straitjackets have a very haunting and heavy appearance. I like the weight the fabric and the buckles have, and the leather used to make the straps. I  also look at how straitjackets have already influenced the fashion world with designers like Burberry and Asher Levine using them as clear influences.
http://images.wikia.com/ladygaga/images/b/b7/Asher_Levine_Strait_Jacket.jpg
Asher Levine's straitjacket dress for Lady Gaga

http://cdn.trendhunterstatic.com/thumbs/burberry-fall-winter-2010-shoes.jpeg
Burberry Boots 
By seeing how other designers have taken inspiration from straitjackets I can see the different extremes they have taken the influences too. Asher Levine's dress has kept a lot of the physically restricting element from the straitjacket as well as the visual features.
I also used this week to explore further into the structures of the spider webs I had photographed. By zooming in, enlarging and editing my photos into black and white  my photos became a lot stronger and more visually impacting then the original photos. I think black, white and grey would be a strong colour palette rather than using natural colours. The way the web is taking over the hole reminds me of Chiharu Shiota installation. The installation reflects a web like fabric taking over a room and connects with my ideas of my knitted fabrics growing, spreading and taking over. The photo has both dense, heavy qualities combined with light and delicate areas which is something I would like to translate into my fabric samples and drawings.


https://files.nyu.edu/jp1961/public/images/shita.jpg 
Chiharu Shiota installation