Fabric Samples

I wanted to explore structural combined with delicate open knit techniques after researching delicate shapes in my drawings. This week I began working on a 10 gauge machine to improve the quality of samples to make them look high end.

A lot of my research features vertical lines so my focus was to transfer  more vertical lines into my fabric samples. Horizontal lines are very typical in knitwear, and I want my fabrics to stand out from other designs.

 Drop stitch with racking

                                                                     Filling Pockets

 http://www.wonderlandmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Picture-183.png                                 Drop Stitch
                                                Derek Lawlor

 Moving mock ribs
 In lay with single bed patterns

In lay with drop stitch racking

In laying yarns into mono-filament gave new properties to the fabric. It made sections more dense and structured like I had hoped, which gives a strong contrast to the smooth areas of single bed cotton that has more drape and fluidity.

The overall quality of my samples have visually and technically improved by working on a smaller gauge, and expanding the range of techniques I am using. However I think there needs to be another colour added that would really pop, and I don't think the yellow is doing that.

I briefly went on to the 4.5 gauge machine which was also new to me. I wanted to create ladders and cables on the chunkier machine to see the contrast between the two machines as I am wanting to make my final fabrics on varied gauge machines to create diversity.